Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch our videos on YouTube

Information on Filing a Complaint

The United States Commission on Civil Rights does not act as an advocate for complainants or respondents in claims of discrimination, nor does it have enforcement powers. However, the Commission can assist you in the complaint process through its Complaint Referral Service. You may also find the Commission publication(s) listed below helpful:

  • Getting Uncle Sam to Enforce Your Civil Rights
    This publication provides useful information on how, when, and where to file a complaint. It includes additional information for special circumstances where a person might lack citizenship, be a Native American, be a member of the military, or be institutionalized. It also lists contact information for federal agency regional, district, and local civil rights offices; selected private organizations; and state bar associations.

   Updated: July 10, 2018