State Advisory Committees
The Commission maintains 51 State Advisory Committees (SACs), one for each state and the District of Columbia. Each is composed of citizen volunteers familiar with local and state civil rights issues. The members assist the Commission with its fact-finding, investigative, and information dissemination functions.
The Commission seeks to ensure that advisory committees are broadly diverse and represent a variety of backgrounds, skills, experiences and perspectives. This diversity promotes vigorous debate and full exploration of the issues. All appointments are made in a non-discriminatory manner.
Commissioners are responsible for appointments to the advisory committees. Commissioners vote on individual appointments upon submission of recommendations by the staff director. The term of service for a committee member is four years with a total duration of not more than eight years (or two four-year terms) unless there is sufficient basis for extending the appointment to 12 years.
State Advisory Committee Regional Alignment
- Central Regional Office (CRO): Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, and Oklahoma.
- Eastern Regional Office (ERO): Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Western Regional Office (WRO): Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
- Southern Regional (SRO): Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
- Rocky Mountain Regional Office (RMRO): Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.
- Midwestern Regional Office (MWRO): Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
Regional Office Contact Information
Central Regional Office
400 State Avenue
Kansas City, Kansas 66101
Tel: (913) 551-1400
TTY: (913) 551-1414
Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma
Eastern Regional Office
1331 Pennsylvania Ave., NW, Suite 1150
Washington, D.C. 20425
Ivy L. Davis, Director
Tel: (202) 376-7533
TTY: (202) 376-8116
Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire,
New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia
Midwestern Regional Office
55 West Monroe Street
Chicago, Illinois 60603
David Mussatt, Director
Tel: (312) 353-8311
TTY: (312) 353-8362
Los Angeles, California 90012
Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
Rocky Mountain Regional Office
Byron Rogers Federal Office Building
1961 Stout Street, Suite 13-201
Denver, CO 80294
Director: Malee Craft
Tel: (303) 866-1040
TTY: (303) 866-1049
Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
Southern Regional Office
Suite 1840 T
61 Forsyth Street, SW
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Jeffrey Hinton, Director
Tel: (404) 562-7000
TTY: (404) 562-7004
Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
Western Regional Office
300 North Los Angeles Street
Los Angeles, California 90012
Director: Peter Minarik
Tel: (213) 894-3437
TTY: (213) 894-3435
Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Washington