State Advisory Committees
The Commission maintains 51 State Advisory Committees (SACs), one for each state and the District of Columbia. Each is composed of citizen volunteers familiar with local and state civil rights issues. The members assist the Commission with its fact-finding, investigative, and information dissemination functions.
The Commission seeks to ensure that advisory committees are broadly diverse and represent a variety of backgrounds, skills, experiences and perspectives. This diversity promotes vigorous debate and full exploration of the issues. All appointments are made in a non-discriminatory manner.
Commissioners are responsible for appointments to the advisory committees. Commissioners vote on individual appointments upon submission of recommendations by the staff director. The term of service for a committee member is two years with a total duration of not more than 10 years (or five 2-year terms) unless there is sufficient basis for extending the appointment beyond 10 years.
State Advisory Committee Regional Alignment
- Central Regional Office (CRO): Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, and Oklahoma.
- Eastern Regional Office (ERO): Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.
- Western Regional Office (WRO): Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, and Washington.
- Southern Regional (SRO): Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
- Rocky Mountain Regional Office (RMRO): Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming.
- Midwestern Regional Office (MWRO): Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
Regional Office Contact Information
Central Regional Office
Gateway Tower II
400 State Avenue, Suite 908
Kansas City, Kansas 66101-2406
Eastern Regional Office
624 Ninth Street, N.W., Suite 740
Washington, D.C. 20425
Western Regional Office
300 North Los Angeles Street, Suite 2010
Los Angeles, California 90012
Southern Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, SW, Suite 1840T
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Rocky Mountain Regional Office
1961 Stout Street
Denver, Colorado 80294
Midwestern Regional Office
55 West Monroe Street, Suite 410
Chicago, Illinois 60603